Everything You Need to Know
1. Special APPLE CORE bookmarks will be given to students the first week of school.
2. Listen to your child(ren) read and/or read to your child(ren) everynight.
3. Initial one-forth of an apple on the bookmark for every 15 minutes of reading completed.
4. Have your child write the titles of the books they have read on the back of the bookmark.
5. Sign the completed bookmark after all 20 apples have been initialed (20 hours of before or after-school reading)
6. Have your child give the bookmark to their classroom teacher and receive a new bookmark to continue with this reading program.
The more your child reads, the greater the chance to win a Kindle Fire!
Total reading minutes are tallied in May. The Henderson elementary school with the greatest number of before or after school hours of reading will be awarded a prize donated by Atkins.
The Official Rules
APPLE CORE is an out-of-school reading incentive program.
Time spent reading in Safekey and as part of Henderson Libraries programs can also be counted.
Encourage older siblings to read to younger ones, or to listen to their reading.
Signed bookmarks will be turned in by the school for children to be entered into a drawing for prizes at the end of the school year.
The school with the most reading minutes, and the drawing winners, will be announced at an event held in May.